This week we got to participate in another EdTech Camp activity. The last time we participated, we all brainstormed topics, wrote them down on paper, and voted using stickers to select the top discussion topics. This time around, our instructor provided us with multiple topics relating to the theme of technology and education. Rather than using the same voting method as last time, we got introduced to an incredible online tool called Mural. Using this software, we were able to also vote and decide on 3 “wildcard” topics to discuss.

I have inserted an image of the Mural platform that shows the various topics we discussed.

The topics that were outlined include:

1. Gamified Learning
  2. Coding in the Classroom
  3. Knowledge Curation Tools
  4. Simulations
  5. Wildcard #1: Should students rely on programs like Grammarly? Why or why not?
  6. Wildcard #2: Should we have homework?
  7. Wildcard #3: Virtual art studio/sketchbooks- can you move studio classes online?

This resource could be utilized within a classroom for similar group activities where students are answering questions in groups and asked to summarize their main ideas. Some of the features that I think make it a useful tool include anonymity and how the voting system removes the element of peer pressure. In many of my own experiences as a student, I often felt the pressure to go along with my peers or friends when answering questions or giving opinions. Using Mural to vote, students would be able to vote without external pressures, thus limiting the amount of sway the students experience.

A few potential challenges that I could see with using Mural within my future classroom include:

• efficiency (when first starting/learning to use it)
  • cost (free with limitations)
  • access to technology for students